02 March, 2009

It's not a reason to upgrade, but...


Vista came pre-installed on a notebook I'm evaluating, and I'm not used to the keyboard. This led to an error that turned out surprisingly pleasant.

While using my favorite old Windows trick--Alt-Tabbing between open windows--I used the wrong key by accident. And my mistake was witnessed.

I held down the Window key and hit Tab. All my open windows formed a neat little line, stacked diagonally across the screen, and with each new hit of the Tab key, a new one marched to the front. It's eye-candy (which I usually shun as a waste of system resources), but the person staring over my shoulder was really taken with the effect. And now, I find myself doing it all the time.

Why? Because of the philosophy of William Morris, the famous Victorian commercial artist. He said "Have nothing in your home you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." And frankly, Window-Tabbing is both.

No comments:

Post a Comment